You can often tell a concept has reached its tipping point when opposing viewpoints come together. In the early days, enterprises were slow to trust cloud computing, especially with their mission-critical workloads. Then, as cloud computing gained acceptance, organizations were rushing to migrate everything to the cloud. Now, there seems to be a broad recognition that the hybrid cloud approach is often the best approach.
“62% of enterprises now use a hybrid IT environment with integrated on-premises systems and off-premises cloud/hosted resources; 39% of enterprises will be running the bulk of their workloads in public clouds by 2020, while 35% will be running workloads in a combination of hosted and on-premises private clouds by 2020.”
– Carl Lehman, Principal Analyst, 451 Research, August 2019, Hybrid Cloud Management & Integration
Pure Storage is a BraveIT 2020 sponsor, where the hybrid cloud is sure to factor heavily in nearly every discussion. Even though this year’s event is virtual, we’re eager to interact with other IT thought leaders who are working to transform enterprise IT. We also want to thank TierPoint for giving us an opportunity to share our thoughts on hybrid cloud computing on their blog. Read our full thoughts on Hybrid Cloud and Managed Services Providers here.
The modern data experience for hybrid cloud computing
Building a hybrid cloud architecture isn’t easy. Many IT organizations are siloed, without a lot of the visibility and collaboration between teams necessary to orchestrate workloads across multiple environments. Application and database architectures are often incompatible. Legacy systems don’t integrate easily.
However, the list of benefits realized from a coordinated, holistic hybrid architecture are substantial. Perhaps the greatest benefit is the ability to restructure IT costs without compromising security or performance. Cloud-native workloads can be migrated to highly scalable cloud environments like AWS or Azure. Some legacy applications, such as those with significant interdependencies, can be rearchitected for a private cloud, while others can be housed in a streamlined on-prem environment.
To support the transformation to the hybrid cloud, Pure enables a multi-cloud data plane that eliminates the complexity of operating private and public cloud environments. This enables complete flexibility across cloud and on-prem solutions. Pure’s approach helps organizations replace antiquated storage systems with fast, flexible resources that fit modern operating environments.
We call this the Modern Data Experience, and it includes four key pillars:
- Cloud everywhere – Our cloud-ready, data-centric architecture enables you to build your cloud, run it, and protect it anywhere.
- Subscription to innovation – Our products breaks the legacy storage model that forces enterprises to repurchase all hardware, software, and maintenance contracts every few years. With our subscription service, contract customers get upgradable hardware, white-glove support, non-disruptive upgrades, no data migration, and right-size guarantees for their environment.
- Deep integration with private clouds – We deliver comprehensive integrations with VMware, Microsoft, and OpenStack clouds. This provides enterprises with an automated, effortless, and cost-optimized hybrid-cloud infrastructure.
- Pure Cloud Block Store (CBS) – Pure Cloud Block Store™️ for Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers industrial-strength block storage delivered natively in the cloud.
These four pillars help address both the architectural and consumption challenges of the hybrid cloud. With Pure, data is easily portable between the clouds and flexible consumption model options assist with managing both risk and cost. Read more about these four key pillars in our blog post: Delivering Hybrid Cloud for Managed Service Providers.
Join us at BraveIT 2020
As mentioned earlier, we’re also a sponsor of TierPoint’s BraveIT 2020 conference, where guest speakers and experts will discuss hybrid and multicloud, cybersecurity trends, disaster recovery trends, how businesses will pivot post-pandemic, and more.
BraveIT 2020 is an interactive, thought leadership and networking event designed for the modern IT professional. The 2020 BraveIT virtual conference will take place September 16-17 with multiple guest speakers and panels. See the full agenda and register today.
BraveIT Spotlights are guest blog posts from our 2020 BraveIT sponsors. Shobhit Bhutani is the Global Solutions & Product Marketing Manager at Pure Storage.